Wilderness Survival: Everything You Need To Know
Wilderness Survival: Everything You Need To Know
It doesn’t matter whether you are camping, hiking, or your car breaks down on the side of the road in a rural area. Everyone should have some knowledge about wilderness survival. If you do outdoor activities regularly, it is especially important that you know what to do in case you find yourself in trouble.
Even if there is not an emergency and you are not stranded, there are some supplies and tools you should have on hand. Keep these things with you at all times when you are in the wilderness for an extended period of time.
For example, if you camp regularly, wilderness survival should be at the top of the list of things to know. The same goes for being an avid hiker, mountain biker, or any other outdoor activity that requires you to be outside.
The good news is that there are tools and kits that can make things very easy for you. You want to make sure you have items that don’t take up too much space and aren’t too heavy. This is in case you have to travel on foot carrying everything.
Even if you don’t find yourself outdoors too much, you might find this information helpful. You never know when you might find yourself in a tricky situation. And most importantly, you never know when wilderness survival tips might just save your life!
What Supplies Do I Need To Survive In The Wilderness?
The supplies you need to survive in the wilderness can vary depending on lots of things. This includes location, climate, terrain, and accessibility to shelter, food, and water. There are some supplies that are essential to survival no matter who you are or where you go.
Below, we put together some items that should be on your checklist when shopping for wilderness survival supplies. All of these items can be found at 4Patriots!
- Staples of Survival Kit: This the ultimate mini-kit can help you in lots of situations. One of the best things about this kit is that it’s pocket-sized. This makes it perfect for packing and carrying around. It includes 6 tools, including a wire cutter, a compass, a multipurpose tool, and a whistle. It even has some basic first aid supplies.
- Compass: This military-grade compass will make sure you are headed in the right direction. You don’t need batteries or electricity to operate it. You’ll always know where you are headed. It comes with a lanyard for easy carrying.
- Firestarter: No matter the climate, it gets cold at night. To survive, you will need a fire to keep warm. It is also needed for boiling water and cooking. Warmth, clean water, and well-cooked food are three of the most important things for survival! Having a fire starter will make things easier. You do not need to rub sticks together... only to get a small spark.
- Water Filter: Boiling your water is a good way to remove contamination. However, it is better to be safe than sorry. Having a water filter will ensure 99.9% of viruses, bacteria, pollutants, and other harmful things are removed from your water. It is the safest and best way to make sure you have clean water to drink.
- Knife: Having a sharp and high-quality knife is essential. You can use it to hunt, to cut things, and for self-defense. Make sure it is very sharp. It should be able to cut through everything from rope to food. If you only have room for one tool, make it a knife.
Is Camping Gear Helpful For Wilderness Survival?
Yes! Camping gear is extremely helpful for wilderness survival. Any products you take with you to go camping will come in handy if you are trying to survive in the wilderness.
Some of these items include sleeping bags, lanterns, fire starters, food, water, shelter, and protective clothing gear. A lot of the items we have discussed in this article crossover between camping supplies and survival gear.
What Tips And Tricks Should I Know For Wilderness Survival?
Supplies can’t save you if you don’t know what to do with them. There are some survival skills you should learn to go with your survival supplies.
- Learn how to build a shelter: Take a sturdy branch and lean it against a tree. Take other branches and stack more branches on one side. Then, add insulating layers like leaves and moss.
- Learn how to build a fire: You will need kindling and wood that is stacked with room for oxygen to flow through. If you have paper or wrappers, use those to start the fire. Slowly add small twigs and branches to help the fire grow.
- Be able to identify edible plants: For this, memorization is key. Buy books on edible plants and study them. Stick with ones that are really obvious, like wild spinach, blackberries, things like that. If you have any doubts about a plant, don’t eat it.
- Know how to navigate: If you have a compass, learn how to use it. Otherwise, your best bet is to use the sun and stars to navigate. The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. At night, look for the Polaris/The Big Dipper. Then you will know which way true north is.
You never know when you might run into a dangerous situation. All you can do is be prepared. Preparedness will give you the best shot at making it out alive. While not all emergency situations are life and death, they are still more dangerous if they occur in the wilderness.
You will need certain supplies to survive. Consider that you need food, clean water, and shelter when deciding what supplies you will need. Keep them with you when you are outdoors. Of course, if you are going for a jog or a bike ride, you don’t need to bring all this stuff with you. However, going camping and hiking or exploring more isolated spots requires being prepared with supplies and gear.
Learn a few basic survival skills, like learning about edible plants, building fires, and building shelters. You don’t need to be an expert in order to survive. You just need to know the basics to help you get by until you reach safety.